Monday, October 6, 2014

Asian Empire Travel Blog: The Ottoman Empire

The Ottoman Empire

The people of the Ottoman Empire liked to take any land that they could get. The leader of the empire, Mehmed II, took over Constantinople to create his empire. He used weapons, such as cannons, to barge into the walls of the capital. As years went by, the Ottomans gained more land, expanding their empire. After Mehmed resigned, a new sultan, Suleyman I, took the throne. The citizens of the Ottoman Empire liked him because he got more land, reformed the tax system, and improved the court system. But he also made Non-Muslims pay lots of taxes. The society were cut in two classes.
Suleyman I
Map of the Ottoman Empire
                                      
Here is a script if I were talking to Suleyman.
Q: When did you start ruling the Ottoman Empire?
A: I ruled after Mehmed retired and started in 1520.
Q: How long did you rule?
A: I retired in 1566. I ruled for 46 years.
Q: What did you do that your people liked you so much?
A: I expanded the empire, changed the tax system, and made a better court system.
Q: Who was one of the greatest architects in the empire?
A: Sinan. He built a great mosque of me and it symbolized the greatness of my reign.

The Ottoman Empire sadly does not exist today. It ended in the early 1900s due to weak sultans. After Suleyman I left, everything went downhill. New sultans had to kill their brothers to eliminate rivals, and princes came in to be sultan, but they did not know how to govern.
Even though the Ottoman Empire is over, the cultures from it still exist today. The mixtures of cultures from the empire still live in people today in the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment